Sunday, July 11, 2010

Puree Vegetables

Believe it or not, I can actually commiserate with parents who resort to convenience foods or commercial baby foods. This is not to say that I condone it, but I do recognise just how difficult it can be to find the time to be the perfect parent in the kitchen.

In my house at the moment, I have to cater for an infant just starting on solids and a toddler who, despite being a very good eater, would still prefer to fill up on anything but vegetables. I also cook for myself and my husband, and whilst far from fussy about what we eat, we do like a bit of flavour in our foods. In some circumstances, this could equate to three separate dinners on the table each night, and an inordinate amount of time spent at the stove, time which is valuable and could be better spent elsewhere.

There is obviously no getting around the simple single puree vegetables and fruits that a six month old requires. However, I have found that I can put these purees to other uses too. Like many mothers, I freeze them in bulk, in tablespoon portions that can quickly and easily be defrosted in the microwave. And by incorporating different puree vegetables into my regular family meals, I am not only ensuring that my toddler gets her vegetable fix, but I also feel as though I am utilising my time in the kitchen a little better. The flavour hit they give to recipes is also an unexpected added benefit. And this is much appreciated since the foods I cook for us, the parents, are the foods my toddler is expected to eat as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment