Friday, June 25, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins ('Orange Cakes')

As I was preparing a puree of steamed pumpkin for my six month old daughter, I had an idea. Pumpkin muffins! How could I not be inspired by the most vibrant and sweet orange flesh of a Kent pumpkin. The puree tasted divine on its own (although I must admit, Harper didn't think so...). And I was right that it could be turned into delicious 'orange cakes' too. A big thumbs up from two year old Coco.

To make these into a nutritious treat for toddlers, I have added extra fresh and dried fruit to this recipe. Wholemeal flour is also used, and canola oil for its omega-3 content.  



Pumpkin Muffins
(Makes 12 large muffins)

I cup puree pumpkin
1 apple, finely grated
1/2 cup sultanas
Juice of 1/2 lemon
60g organic honey
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup light Greek yoghurt
1 cup plain SR flour
1 cup wholemeal SR flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a large muffin tin with paper cases.
  2. Put pumpkin, fruit, lemon juice, honey, eggs, canola, and yoghurt into a large bowl. Beat until well combined.
  3. Combine dry ingredients and spice in a second bowl.
  4. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry until just combined.
  5. Bake for about 30min or until tops start to colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment